Thursday, April 14, 2011

Next best thing to buying second hand. . . is selling!


As I mentioned, my new "career" is that of antiques dealer.  I say that with a grain of salt because I feel much more comfortable with the official title of "second-hand seller" or, perhaps better yet, "junk collector and redistributor," since I don't think of myself as much of an expert on antiques.  I simply know what I like, which is what appeals to my senses or my sense of humor.  Like "Mr. Idaho" in the picture at right.  Found it at a "hoarder's" yard sale and sold it to a fellow junk collector and redistributor whose sense of humor over the rusty can of potato flakes matched mine. 

No matter whether antiques dealer or second-hand seller, I was incredibly fortunate last November to be accepted into Acorn's Antique Show and Sale, regarded by many as Utah's best event of the kind.  I packed up scores - if not hundreds - of my best sEcoNd haNd sTufT to display there, and, with my sweet, supportive husband, made the trek up to Ogden, not knowing what fate would await us.  We were given a booth with fantastic exposure and got great support from other dealers as well as customers.  It was a success!

Then, in February, luck shined on us again when my dear friend Michael of Now & Again Eclectic Consignment in Salt Lake put in a good word for me with show owner Heidi - and the next day I got a second invitation to join the Acorn Show.  Our booth was packed all day on Saturday (not so on Sunday due to a major snowstorm, rats!) and Fred and I left Sunday night feeling successful again.

Before leaving, though, Heidi invited me to come back again for the show in May - Saturday and Sunday the 21st and 22nd to be exact - and I'm thrilled!  So excited, in fact, I wanted to share with you some photos of our booth from the Acorn Show in February.  This will give you an idea of what I sell. . . and, as a heads up, I'm saving some of my best stuff for Acorn in May!  Hope you'll come. . .
















Always bring my sweetheart to the sales. . .





. . . and he brings me!


2 comments:

  1. Good job Cathie! Evertyhing looks so beautiful! I am actually thinking of trying to get into Acorn, but I hear the waiting list is a JOKE! (*_*) ~Stacy~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Cathie, I love your stuff AND the way you display it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete